Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Old School Ways

Today on FOHBOH I read Jerry Heilpern’s post, To Survive We Must Think Differently, and the reason behind my blog is not to agree or disagree with Jerry. I respect Jerry’s opinion and his professional background and accomplishments. His isn’t the first blog post I have read to tell me that based on the current state of the union that we have to do things differently or we are dead in the water. He says that we will have to get rid of mozzarella sticks and marinara in exchange for trendy dishes and interiors and ambiences are going to have to be new, inventive, and inviting.

This past week in another blog discussion by James Kohn, Today's Rant: Deciding which new technology is right for you, Michael Atkinson stated that, “Doing the basics and just "running a restaurant" isn't enough.” Again my quote here is not to discount Michael’s opinion as his professional resume and accomplishments are at the very least impressive, it is only to challenge what I believe is a current trend in thinking.

Now if you know anything about me, I run a bunch of those “chain” restaurants that are the brunt of “independent” jokes and rhetoric about conveyor belt and microwave delivery systems, but here is my concern that I can’t seem to get my head around.

The Hamburger has been a staple of the restaurant business for quite some time now, followed by French fries, salad, chicken sandwiches, tall draft beer, chicken wings, chicken tenders, and the that ole stand by for kids, Macaroni and Cheese.

Can’t I just focus on delivering those items really well?

If my restaurant is clean, my prices are fair, my service is strong, and I give my guests what they want, can’t I be successful in this challenging environment also?

Even in a tough market Buffalo Wild Wings earnings increased 23% in the fourth quarter and McDonald’s comps grew over 5% and their food, service, and ambience aren’t exactly what I would call trendy or cutting edge?

Go ahead, burst my bubble and tell me that I have to change the way I do business. I think the only thing I have to change is making sure I deliver what the guest expects and value IS a strong position.

Today, isn't value defined by our guests and not by us?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Andy, you have it right. And you're one of the few.

Nothing on the operator's side of the equation adds value to the guest experience. Those that think that better cost controls, vendor pricing schemes or even IT does, are simply out of touch with the modern day reality that the guest controls the business - period.

Guests determine value. And they do so now with more discriminating sensitivities than ever before. The recession has triggered a major recalibration of how the world works. Past successes or reputations mean absolutely nothing. Businesses, restaurants in particular, will have to find ways to constantly add value to the guest experience or they will suffer the same fate as the dinosaurs - most already have, they just don't know it yet.

Andy Swingley said...

Thanks Jeffrey, my soapbox becomes sturdier with your comment.